Saturday, November 17, 2007

There's a story behind this one.

The story is that Sufjan Steven's label, Asthmatic Kitty, is doing a contest where you write and record a christmas/holiday themed song. Then you email them to him and he (or someone) picks a winner. The prize is that Sufjan has recorded his own christmas song and if you win, he gets the rights to your song and you get the rights to his. That's right, you own a Sufjan song and you can do what you want with it. I'm sure there's more information about this contest to be found on the label's website but I'm too lazy to check. The point of this is that my guitarist Greg (star of yesterday's post) is in the midst of writing a song for this contest and for the past couple of days I've been toying with the idea of writing a song about Greg writing a song. This is mostly because I like the phrase "Song for Sufjan." So I wrote the song in maybe 2 hours today so its really not perfect and it ended up being more about my band and sort of my hopes for it and whatever and how I think everyone in my band is really awesome and my idea of the best thing ever is being in a band with them and playing music.

To clarify some of the cast who appear in the song:
Greg - my roommate and guitarist in Kid Omega (but you knew that)
Sean - is the percussionist in Kid Omega
Beckie - another one of my roommates who takes really great photos (sometimes of our band) and has a blog

So yeah here's the song:
A Christmas Song for Sufjan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

keegan! besides the fact that i just like the way this song sounds, it is the sweetest thing ever and beckie was totally right when she told me i HAD to listen to it. you're wonderful. this is wonderful.

-dana