Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Review: Marked Men - Ghosts

The first time I ever heard of the Denton Texas punk band Marked Men, was when Mitch Clem (internet comic artist extraordinaire) put their album "Fix My Brain" at number one on his list of best albums of 2006. Now, three years later, the boys are back with 2009's Ghosts, which weighs in at 15 tracks and not a single one touching 3 minutes in length. I know I harp on short songs a lot in reviews, but I think Shakespeare said it best when he wrote in Hamlet "As brevity is the soul of punk rock, keep thy hardcore and pop-punk songs under 3 and a half minutes." I might be remembering that wrong put the point is that gettin' it done in a timely fashion is for the most part a virtue I look for in bands like this and Marked Men deliver in spades. Listen to this baby end to end and you barely sacrifice a half-hour of your day.

As for actual substance, it's pretty standard, better-than-average pop-punk (lotta hyphens there). The guitars are angular, distorted and played with down-strokes; the drummer's mostly doing high-hat and snare; the vocals are a little rough both in recording quality and delivery and everything is moving along at a pretty good clip. The band apparently has a policy of not publishing lyrics which as a lyrics-oriented kind of guy, I found a little annoying, especially when I turned to write about the album (grrrrr). Combine this with the vocal quality and you could go a decent amount of listens and never have a clue what you were hearing. Besides the lack of published lyrics, my only complaint would be that the guitar sound doesn't change much song-to-song which means that a lot of the songs kind of seem indistinguishable from each other. It's all good, but at times a song will end and the next will start and you think "didn't I just hear this?"

The title track and Red Light Rumors seem to me to be the two songs that really stand out as different from the others but even that is only a slight shift. While all the songs are pretty good, the best two (as opposed to the two that stand out) are Ditch and Stay Away. Strangely enough, those two are the ones I'm going to post.

Marked Men - Ditch

Marked Men - Stay Away

Financial Support Goes Here

Marked Men

No comments: