Sunday, October 24, 2010

Currently Listening To......

I won't write a review because it's a bit of a conflict of interest, but I wanted to make a post about Tom Hamill's new solo album Cosmic Consciousness. In addition to doing half the guitar work for Britney's Spear, Tom has quite an extensive catalogue of solo work (I'm pretty sure I mentioned this in a show review) . This album seems a lot different from his previous work to me. So far there's less emphasis on layered guitar work. In fact it seems the guitar has given away completely to synth, samples and atmospherics. What hasn't changed is the calming combination of ambient and instrumental music that would appeal to fans of bands like The Books. The album can be downloaded for free at Tom's website.

ed. note: Ok I jumped the gun a little bit, I just hit the first track with guitar. Feel a little foolish. This is another reason I didn't do a proper review. Haven't listened to the whole thing yet.

No comments: