Friday, January 8, 2010

Songs to Blow Your Mind Pt. 8

I'm back, and I figured to kick off a new year of blog-alation I should go with an old stand-by, the STBYM franchise, now in its seventh edition. Today's song is one I'd heard a while back, but it recently came up on shuffle, instantly got stuck in my head and I've been listening to it ever since. It's "Skate or Die" by a band named Teenage Bottle Rocket and it's exactly what pop-punk should be. I don't mean pop punk like Paramore or Green Day (not that there's too much wrong with that), I mean music that draws its influence from bands like MTX, The Queers and, if you peel away enough layers, eventually The Ramones. This song is short, fast, catchy-as-hell and just anti-establishment enough without being overbearing.



Teenage Bottlerocket - Skate or Die

In other news, I have a new found respect (just a little) for Keith Urban, who in his acceptance speech at the People's Choice Awards said he didn't care if people downloaded his album for free or gave it to their friends. To be fair he didn't have the chutzpah to add "because I'm married to Nicole Kidman so I could care less aboutthe pennies I make from music" but still, for those of you keeping score at home: Keith Urban - 1 Metallica - 0.

If you're wondering if that whole story was just so I could take a shot at Metallica, it's a distinct possibility.

Financial Support Goes Here

Teenage Bottlerocket

2 comments:

Greg said...

You have succeeded. My mind is blown.

Keegan said...

Thank you Greg. I'm gratified to know this. I have no idea why my phrasing is so strangely formal in this response.