Friday, July 10, 2009

Review: Lemuria - Get Better


A while ago I got my hands on the most recent album by the Buffalo, NY indie/punk (Wikipedia's words not mine) outfit Lemuria. If you'll recall, it was at around this time that I began seriously rethinking my ban on female fronted bands and this album had a huge amount to do with it. This was one of those albums where at first I really just liked the opening track, the soaring love song, Pants. But as I gave the rest of the album more of my attention I realized that I liked almost every song on the album.

It's tempting to call it straight ahead boy-girl vocals pop punk (the good kind), but with a little something extra whether that's the male harmony vocal on Buzz, the gender-bending lyricism on Lipstick or the poignant narrative of Wardrobe (can you tell I really like this album?). I would recommend this album for fans of The Smoking Popes, The Unlovables, and maybe the Mr. T Experience (but without quite so much whimsy). And yeah I threw The Unlovables in there partly because they have a female lead singer, but at least I didn't do one of those FFO lists like "Rilo Kiley, Rainer Maria, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Metric." Because I hate those.



Lemuria - Pants
Lemuria - Lipstick
Lemuria - Buzz

Financial Support Goes Here

Lemuria

1 comment:

Beckie Moses said...

I've been hoping for something like this to find its way into my life. Thanks, Keegan! I might have to ask you for the rest...