Friday, August 27, 2010

Review: Castevet - Summer Fences

First of all, can we just talk about how truly awesome this album cover is?? It's a disgruntled deer! Or maybe an imperious elk. It's not really an elk, I just wanted to maintain the alliteration thing I had going on. On a more pertinent note Summer Fences last year's release by Chicago's Castevet (not to be confused with a black metal band from New York of the same name) is like being taken to school on 90's emo (the good kind). The guitars are all chime-y and layered and do that 'quiet loudness' that envelops you and reminds me of bands like Appleseed Cast, Sunny Day Real Estate, or maybe American Football. They aren't all atmosphere either the parts are interesting and varied and there's clearly talent here in spades. Vocally, the record is a little sparse, several of the songs have less than 10 lines of lyrics and the words themselves are hardly intelligible since they are delivered with a rough yell reminiscent of early Hot Water Music or maybe a less punk rock Latterman. But a quick google of the actual lyrics reveals that while we aren't missing Byron or Keats here, they are far from the sort of banal crap that usually finds itself much higher in the mix. What I'm saying is, if you could understand the words, they wouldn't drag you down.

Castevet appear to be an excellent product of their heritage with the vocals of the more rough voiced punk rock we're currently seeing and the excellent instrumentation of a legion of their midwest-dwelling peers most of whom ended up on Deep Elm at some point or another. In fact I'm surprised that Deep Elm hasn't grabbed these guys yet since they seem like they'd be right in the ol' wheel-house. Also, I feel like I need to mention Braid at some point in here since they are Midwestern, technical, and indie/emo-y goodness. Other than that I apologize for one of those reviews where I just list other bands I promise to improve and I encourage everyone to pick up Summer Fences by following the link at the bottom.

Castevet - Plays One On TV


Financial Support Goes Here

Castevet

No comments: