Thursday, February 25, 2010

Review: Lemuria - Ozzy 7"

Let's get this out of the way right from the outset, I love Lemuria. I thought Get Better was one of the best complete albums I'd heard in a while. All this means that new Lemuria music = excited Keegan. That said, the Ozzy 7" had some big shoes to fill which I thought it took an admirable stab at. The record has two songs; Ozzy by the guitarist Sheena Ozzella and Expert Herder by the drummer Alex Kearns. Kearns wrote a majority of the songs on Get Better and he was certainly responsible for my favorites, but on the Ozzy single, it is Ozzella's title track that shines lyrically. Musically a little slow, lyrically it is a single repeated verse of the sort of poignant, understated vignettes I loved on Get Better. There's an element of the Weakerthans in this song, though I would guess that Ozzella is a dog-person to Samson's cats. Kern's contribution, though the more up-tempo and interesting musically, loses me somewhat lyrically. What exactly is an expert herder? Perhaps if I knew, I would find that this song is just as meaningful and awesome as I expected it to be. Alex Kearns: if you're out there, please feel free to drop me a line and elaborate on the meaning of this song. Or even just shoot the breeze, that'd be cool too. Ahem. Where was I? Oh yes, the Ozzy 7" is a perfect way to maintain that Get Better high you've had going and to keep you from going into withdrawal while you wait for another full length. Oh P.S. I'm not going to post a song from the single because that would be half the record, so instead I'm posting my favorite track from The First Collection, an older Lemuria record.

Lemuria - In A World of Ghosts....


Financial Support Goes Here aka BUY EVERYTHING THEY'VE EVER DONE!

Lemuria

No comments: